Thursday, February 28, 2013

Times Have Changed!

Good Morning and Blessings Everyone!


My father used to talk about how simple life was when he was a little boy. I tell my children how much simpler it was for me when I was a young girl. Things have changed too much in this world and our children no longer have that simple taste of life. They don't get up in the morning and run outside to play with their friends because mommy and daddy are both working or just don't feel like going outside to watch them. So what do they do when they wake up? They turn on the television or the computer and there they sit for the rest of the day.

I remember my parents not allowing us to stay in the house all day watching television. Nope the TV got turned off and you had to go outside and play. There was no saying to your parents, "I'm bored," because they would just find things for you to do. Not fun things like ride your bike, play ball with your friends, no more like clean the bathroom, clean your room, do extra homework, read ahead a few chapters! Oh and don't under any circumstances let your mom receive a call from the school. There was no excuse because the teacher and the principal were always right! You were under their watchful eye all day so there is no way they don't know you. My mother used to say if the teacher punishes you for doing something wrong in school I will punish you when you get home as well. You can bet we didn't talk to our teachers the way students do today. We may not have liked them all very much but we showed our respect.

I loved school! I was considered a Nerd! Oh well, someone has to be. Other kids used to come to me to help them with their homework and I did. I enjoyed helping people then and now. I often think back to the days of when my biggest problem was whether or not to wear my hair in braids or pig tails. I think about when I used to play with barbie dolls in the fourth grade then I see fourth graders today and feel sad because most of them don't know they are still young enough to play with dolls, still young enough to want to play ball with their father, still young enough to want to hang out with their older siblings. Children today unfortunately grow up too fast.

I love children, I always did, even when I was a kid in high school I looked after the younger kids in the neighborhood. I never let anyone bother them and I always made time to hang out with them. Kids are amazing people. They develop every day in so many ways, their mind is a sponge, their social skills get fine tuned to their environment, they search to figure out who they are and what they want to be. It wouldn't hurt anyone to be there to help them grow the right way.You see parents today are no different than parents of yesterday. My parents had to work and my grandparents had to work as did my great grandparents. Yes they were homes with both parents working. My great grandparents had a farm among other things, my grandmother and grandfather both worked on both sides of the family, my father and mother had to work just like parents today but they all managed to be there for their children. Tired at the end of the day, yes, but still doing what needed to be done for their children no matter what. I was in brownies and girl scouts, my brothers played baseball and football. We had a social life our parents were well aware of. They knew our friends and if they did not approve of them then we did not get to remain friends that could hang out together. Today kids tell the parents what they are doing and when they are doing it. Not right, it's time the head of the family goes back to the parent in charge, be it father or mother, it's not for the children to decide.

Looking back now at all the amazing teachers that crossed my path growing up I had some of the best Earth Angels in the world. I could only hope my children were as blessed as I was. From the first day of school to the last I was blessed with many that made an impact on my life. That put me in the right direction when I seemed to veer off course. I am thankful for all the help I had.


                                                                  Help Them Grow!

                                                                Children can get turned around,
                                                                Hard to keep their feet on the ground,
                                                                Hard for them to understand,
                                                                Things don't always go as planned,
                                                                To you and me they turn for advice,
                                                                When things don't feel right they think twice,
                                                                Just like you and me they are,
                                                                Trying not to rock the car,
                                                                Trying to keep the steering wheel straight,
                                                                Driving down life's interstate,
                                                                It is not always easy to stay on course,
                                                                Life's changes are often the force,
                                                                That clouds their mind so they lose sight,
                                                                Of what is wrong and what is right,
                                                                They do things they are not proud of,
                                                                They want to be noticed they are looking for love,
                                                                Children are no different than you or me,
                                                                A bit smaller I do agree,
                                                                But they are looking for the same things in life,
                                                                Happiness, love, a husband or wife,
                                                                To fill their dreams and reach their goal,
                                                                To be successful not fall in a hole,
                                                                They can achieve these dreams it is true,
                                                                They just need to know where to start what to do,
                                                                That will be taught by those they meet,
                                                                When walking down the path of life's beat,
                                                                Each person who crosses in front of them,
                                                                Is helping them build a strong stem,
                                                                Roots that grow deep in the ground,
                                                                Bearing the fruit of Knowledge abound,
                                                                They can not do this alone,
                                                                Every Earth Angel within their zone,
                                                                Needs to stretch out their wings and show,
                                                                All the children what they know,
                                                                So they can walk the path designed,
                                                                To help them straighten out unwind,
                                                                Their path should jump and sing,
                                                                So success, happiness, and love it will bring!

To Be Continued........
                                                               
                                                               
                                                             
                                                                                                                               
                                                               
                                                               
                                                             
                                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment