Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday!

Good Morning and Blessings Everyone!!!


What is Ash Wednesday? Ash Wednesday is the start of Lent, the start of the season of Lent. The season of Lent starts 40 days prior to Easter so like Easter the date of Ash Wednesday changes every year. Here's a good note most people do not know, Sundays are not included in the 40 day count of the season of Lent! On Ash Wednesday Christians around the globe go to church to receive their ashes. A priest or minister lightly rubs a sign of the cross with ashes on the forehead of the person wishing to receive them. During lent season people fast giving up their favorite food and many still do not eat fish on Fridays and some include Wednesdays, such as myself. It is a time for repentance and spiritual discipline. A time to come in touch with yourself and spirituality. The ritual of receiving ashes is not written in the bible, just a note so you know.

When I was a small girl Easter marked the beginning of Spring. On Ash Wednesday we would all go to church after school to receive our ashes which my father always told me were the Ash from the Palm since that was considered a holy tree. In the Catholic church you don't have to receive ashes prior to receiving your First Holy Communion but it was believed that when you received your ashes you were truly blessed by the church so it was no surprise when parents lined up with their children in tow. As for the kids well we just thought it was cool, believe it or not, to wear that badge of ashes on our forehead. It meant we went to church and it proved we were Catholic. Silly I know. Then we always gave up things our parents really didn't want us to have anyway like gum, candy, soda. Many of us kept our promise and kept away from what we gave up but for some it was hard to do 40 days without their favorite treat. I mean at ten years old could you really give up your favorite dessert for 40 days? To this day I will not give something up for lent unless I am sure I can do the time. 

I love religion and spirituality in itself. I love learning all I can about any and all religions but for me there is nothing like walking into the Catholic Church and feeling the warmth that engulfs me. I love the smells that come from the walls do to years of burning Frankincense, Copal and Myrrh their incense of choice. To some it is known as Three Kings. Most of all I love touching base with my roots. I do not need to go to church and pray to God and ask Jesus for forgiveness. I do not need to go to church on Ash Wednesday to receive my ashes but I do need to keep in touch with who I am.. I am proud of my beliefs my roots. I am proud of my spirituality and too many people today don't know who or what they are. The memories of my father and mother teaching my spiritual path bring a smile to my face and pleasure in my heart. 

You don't have to be Christian to start making changes and becoming more spiritually dedicated today Ash Wednesday. Just take some time to come in touch with yourself. Examine who you are and what you want in life. Ask who ever it is you pray to, to stand by you and show you the way your path leads. Heck I told you from the start I am a Witch and it doesn't mean I can't be Catholic so if I can talk to God and tell him that, you can tell him anything you need to and find what it is you think you might be missing in life. So many people today don't believe in anything until it's too late then they have to call upon God to help. Don't get me wrong it's never wrong to call upon God it's just that we wait till someone needs our prayers before we pray for them just because. I thank God every day for those people who have come into my life along my path and I ask every day for those poor people with no place to live no place to go to have a place and never go hungry. Heck these are people I don't even know but they deserve my prayers. 

The lesson here is to figure out what and who you are and realize that no matter what turns in the road you may take, you are never alone! Blessed Ash Wednesday To All!



                                                                     Thank you God!

                                                               Written by Toni Gamarro

                                                         There are times in my life I have been scared,
                                                         Times I thought no one really cared,
                                                         Then I remember the most important one of all,
                                                         And sit down to give you a call,
                                                         Silently I sit down to talk,
                                                         Sometimes I call while I walk,
                                                         I tell you what is on my mind,
                                                         How I need you to help me find,
                                                         My way down the path I take,
                                                         A way to mend the heart that may ache,
                                                         For if I do not turn to you,
                                                         I am lost do not know what to do,
                                                         For you have always been by my side,
                                                         Held me tight when I cried,
                                                         Walked with me hand in hand,
                                                         Giving me strength to take a stand,
                                                         Showing me times are sometimes hard,
                                                         Next to me you stand guard,
                                                         Watching over me until I say,
                                                         Dear God why does it have to be this way,
                                                         Then the light goes on and the warmth is felt,
                                                          I know besides me you have knelt,
                                                         You are listening to the words I speak,
                                                          Kiss me gently on the cheek,
                                                          Empower me to be who I am,
                                                          For in your flock I am a lamb,
                                                          So when I sit down to pray,
                                                          You sit besides me and here what I say,
                                                          With your presence I can see,
                                                           The path in which I was meant to be,
                                                           With this knowledge I feel relief,
                                                           No more sorry no more grief,
                                                           So thank you God for always being there,
                                                           For holding my hand reminding me you care.

To Be Continued........
                                 
                                                         
                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment