Friday, February 1, 2013

Lessons Learned

Good Morning and Blessings Everyone!

Everyday I wake up and thank God for the gift of life he has given me. I thank him for my family, three great children, Joey the love of my life, all my friends, and of course my "special abilities." These special abilities I carry with me everyday of my life. Some days they rage loud and clear letting me know I have work to do and other days I get to rest just like everyone else does on a weekend only it's not necessarily a Saturday or Sunday off.

All of my life I have been drawn to people in need. People who seem to be at their last resort and I come in to lend a helping hand. I never understood how we found each other and I often questioned why. I also wondered why after getting to know these people, they left. People come and go in our lives every day. Some people we wish would be around forever but for one reason or another they have to move on. The reason why they crossed your path and you theirs has been satisfied so you can both go your separate ways once again. Perhaps some time down the road you will cross each others path once more or you will just sit quietly one day remembering all the good times you had with this person. Either way you were where you were meant to be, when you were meant to be there, for what ever time you were supposed to be. 

I had a friend in grade school, her name was Donna. Where I went to school we had special needs classes even back then but they were called Special Ed. These kids stayed in this class till they were eighteen years old and graduated. It was different than the rest of the school as we moved on from class to class then off to middle school, high school, then graduation and hopefully college. Donna was in the special ed classes. Every day we would go to school early to play in the playground and Donna would be there.

I was only six years old when I first met her she was twelve and considered a sixth grader. The kids in the school yard were teasing her. I could see it hurt her and I felt sorry for her. She sat quietly on the steps of the library which were in the girls school yard. Yes when I went to school they separated the girls from boys in the school yard. Donna sat there, tears coming down her face quietly as she rocked back and forth as if comforting herself. I didn't know then that was what she was doing but as I look back now over the years I realized that was exactly what she was doing. I went up to Donna and sat on the step next to her taking her hand in mine. My sisters friends made fun of me and told my sister I must be like Donna if I wanted to hang out with her. I remember Donna trying to get me to go back and play with the kids but I told her I wanted to be there with her. She didn't want them making fun of me too!

When the school bell rang off we went to our classes. Donna walked me to my kindergarten class and our bond was formed. Over the next seven years I saw Donna everyday. We played in the school yard before school and on our lunch time. After school she was gone since she took the school bus home. Most of the kids didn't want to have anything to do with me in the school yard because I was always with Donna but that was how little girls were then and I am sure they are the same way now. What they didn't see was she taught me something even at that age. 

Donna taught me compassion and understanding. For the next seven years I had to remember she was different at times while other times she was no different than I was. She taught me tolerance because of the way the other kids treated her. Her heart was pure she wished only good for everyone even those who tormented her on a daily basis. Everyday I prayed for her to be happy and not have to cry because some cruel little girl was rude to her calling her names, poking fun at her. I knew just being in her company I was truly blessed.

The year I left grade school Donna graduated. I was so happy for her. She was so  proud of her accomplishment and rightfully so. Through Donna I had met other children in that class that helped me develop and grow into the person I am today. I remember Lucille who was also my friends sister. She was in Donna's class as well. Lucille had Down Syndrome and was also teased by some of the other children. These young ladies I had the pleasure to know taught me so much about the beauty that is out there. They taught me not to jump to conclusions and to think before I speak out so as not to hurt someone. They were a gift to me a blessing from God to have known them at all.

Now from time to time I sit and remember my days with these amazing young woman who saw no bad in anyone. I hear the words of my friends and family when they tell me there is something wrong with me because I only see the good in people I don't see the bad. What they don't understand is there was a time when I could have been just like them. I could have seen the negative and nastiness of those around me. I was growing up exactly where they were but I chose to learn a lesson in life God felt I needed to. I chose to learn how to love unconditionally, how to trust, and give people a chance no matter how they are to me. I don't do this to hurt anyone I do this for me and for those I love. 

I honestly don't believe I would be the even keeled, well round individual I am today if it wasn't for my friendships with Donna and Lucille.Although I do not know where Donna is at this time in my life I still want to put it out there and thank her for all the lessons she taught me without knowing she was doing it. She always wanted to be a teacher just like her Miss Kay. I always believed in her and as child used to tell her she could do anything she wanted to. I believed in her because of the way she taught me. As for Lucille, unfortunately she passed away a couple of years ago but even as she grew older she never lost that love she had for everyone. Lucille just loved being around people, she loved her family and friends very much and her love was unconditional. When ever these two amazing woman walked into the room they brightened it up. So to Lucille and Donna I Thank You for everything and for the chances you gave me in my life. I thank you for opening up my heart, mind, and eyes.You both were a gift a from God. You taught me lessons some people never take the time to learn.


                                                          
                                                                     I Thank You!

                                                           You taught me how to love and care,
                                                           You taught me not to look and stare,
                                                           At those who were not just like you,
                                                           Because of the things they would do.
                                                           You taught me no one is exactly the same,
                                                           There is no reason to bow your head in shame,
                                                           To hold your head high and be proud,
                                                           No reason to be rude or loud,
                                                           To appreciate that which God gave,
                                                           To face your fear and be brave,
                                                           Do not let others influence what you do,
                                                           Use your own mind, think things through,
                                                           You showed me unconditional love,
                                                           Something most people only talk of,
                                                           You taught me to harm no one,
                                                           So that when the day is done,
                                                           I can hold my head up high,
                                                           Proudly look you in the eye,
                                                           Know I learned the lessons taught,
                                                           Appreciate the love you brought,
                                                           Thank you for the time we had,
                                                           For being my friend I am glad,
                                                           You were wise beyond your years,
                                                           I hope these words reach your ears.
                                                           

To Be Continued.........
                                                           
                                                           
                                                          
                                                           
                                                           
                                                           
                                                          
                                                          
                                                           
                                                           

                                                           





No comments:

Post a Comment