I trust you are all well and happy this beautiful evening. Tonight I want to talk to you about the different steps you would take along your journey into Witchcraft also known as "The Craft of the Wise." There is so much to learn on this journey so lets start at the beginning.
We are all curious by nature. It is not unusual to wonder what it is like to walk this path or any other path in life. Perhaps you have a friend or two who are Wiccan or Pagan and wonder what that would be like to follow that path. As I have said before just because they are Wiccan or Pagan does not mean they are a Witch. Or perhaps you have a friend or family member who follows another path in life that peaks your curiosity the method on how to start out is all the same. You have to study, learn all you can before you can make an educated decision as to whether or not that particular path is for you.
Look at it this way. As a senior in high school you have to decide what path you are going to take in the adult world you are about to enter. Be it find a job or move onto college or a trade school you have to take the time and do the research in order to get the answer that is right for you. Well it is no different when deciding what spiritual path you are going to walk in life. Yes some of us follow the path we are born into but then there are those of us who are even more curious and want to learn all they can about other spirituality's. In order to this we must do our research. Same as picking out the right career or school to attend. You just don't wake up one day and say that's it I am going to be a lawyer and go out and open up an office. You have to go to the right school, study, and learn all there is in order to be the best you can be.
Over the years I have met many a curious person. Many who have come to me and said I want to be a Witch and cast spells. At this point, for me anyway the buzzer goes off in my head warning me this person has no clue. When this happens I generally start telling them about my learning experience and how long it was before I even attempted to cast a spell. But no matter what, I stress the need to read and learn. To gather knowledge like squirrels gather nuts because you can not take the necessary steps and move ahead without the knowledge to do so. A person who does that I consider a dabbler. Someone who dabbles in The Craft, reeks havoc and in the end calls me or someone like me to fix the mess they made because they took a short cut and went straight to casting or invoking. I am sure you have all heard of at least one person in your life who played where they did not belong. Perhaps they picked up a book on spells and figured anyone could do it just because they read a chapter or two. I do know by doing it that way you are opening doors you will not be able to close, at least, not without help.
I put together a small list of books to help you get started along your path. The reason being if you read a book or two you may find this isn't for you and move on without causing any unbalance in the Universe. On the other hand you may decide the complete opposite. You may find this path or one like it is for you and long to learn more and more.
"Called of the Horned Piper" by Nigel Jackson, "A Witch Alone" by Marian Green, "The Hedge Witches Way" by Rae Beth, "Witchcraft Today" by Gerald Gardner,
"Complete Book of Witchcraft" by Raymond Buckland, "A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham, "Witch Crafting" by Phyllis Curott, "Witches Bible" by Janet and Stewart Farrar, "The Craft-A Witches Book of Shadows" by Dorothy Morrison, "A History of Witchcraft" by Jeffery Russell, "Witchcraft of Tomorrow" by Doreen Valiente. I think this is a good list to get you started.
I always say I am not Wiccan or Pagan but trust me there are those who will argue with you or me that of you are following the Craft then you are Wiccan. I don't see it that way because I learned from a very Wise Woman to be a Witch is to learn all you can about all spiritualities and use a little bit of this and a little bit of that in the work you do along your path. In other words you take a little from each path you study and use it in your practice of The Craft. I have said time and again I love to read and learn but the best lessons I have had came from a Wise Woman or two along the way. I am proud to have known them and learned from them. I am proud they saw fit to teach me and help me along the way so I too can become a Wise Woman. In achieving this goal I am proud to have followed in my Great Grandmothers footsteps.
So folks this is step one. Study, study, study and learn all you can. Knowledge should be absorbed and shared. Experience is an amazing teacher so seek out those who are at this a lot longer than you. Most importantly before you even think about casting a spell know what you are doing and seek the advice of someone a bit Wiser than you. Again I am always here to answer your questions. What I do not know I will seek out the answer for you from those who are Wiser than I.
Knowledge
By Toni Gamarro
I love to open books and read,
Planting the knowledge seed,
Soaking up all there is to learn,
For the next book I yearn,
Knowledge comes to us in many different ways,
Reading a book, a blog or even essays,
You also learn from those wiser than you,
Listen and learn what you need to,
Do not think you know all there is to know,
For that is when you will find it definitely isn't so,
It takes years to master the subject at hand,
Be it history or playing in a rock band,
You need to read and study all there is,
You need to practice and even take the quiz,
You need to seek out the advice,
Of those who have walked the path, paid the price,
You can not succeed if you do not try,
You need to listen and question why,
Learn to appreciate the written word,
But to think that is all you need is absurd,
Keep an opened mind and you will see,
Leaves begin to bloom on the Knowledge Tree,
As you begin to master your choice,
Reach your goal and you can rejoice,
For you have mastered the subject at hand,
And you can help others take a stand,
Now even though you reach your goal,
Remember to always take a stroll,
Down the path towards the Knowledge Tree,
And push to be all you can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment