Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Candle Magick

Good Morning and Blessings Everyone!

Today I have chosen to talk about one of my favorite subjects, Candle Magick. I think the reason so many enjoy using candle magick besides it being very effective it is also the simplest form of magick. Let's think back to when we were children and our moms put the candles on our birthday cake. What were we told? Close your eyes, make a wish, and blow out the candles so your wish will come true. Well that is partly right. Before I go any further I want to stress the importance of never blowing out a candle you cast with, made a wish, or prayer with. When you blow out a candle you blow away the wish, spell, or prayer how ever you want to look at it. I always snuff out my candles as opposed to blowing them out.

Candle Magick is considered to be sympathetic magick. Sympathetic Magick is the concept of like attracts like. This is the most common form of magick. In all my years of study it never stops amazing me how many people use examples of sympathetic magick in the dark sense. All magick can be used for dark or light work. It's how you choose to work it that matters. I have always used candle magick ever since I was a young girl and lit a candle to ask God for help. Of course since then I have learned how to use it in other ways as well. On good thing about candle magick is it doesn't require a lot of fancy ritual or expensive artifacts. All you need is your words, incense helps, a match or two, some brown or parchment paper, and of course a candle. I don't make mean to make it sound so easy I am just explaining it does not require you to go out and invest a lot of money in order to get your work done.

There are many people who make candle magick out to be harder and more confusing than what it should be or is. One thing so many agonize over is what sort of candle should they use. One thing I have always said is the size of the candle isn't important. I tend to lean towards votive candles, chime candles, which are nothing more than a short taper candle, or even tea light candles. Some spells call for a particular candle like a seven day candle which is the size of the large candles you see in church. You have to be careful where you buy your seven day candles for the ones purchased in a dollar store are not the same as those purchased in a real botanica. One store I enjoy doing business with is Original Botanica in New York. Check out their webpage www.originalbotanica.com but I can tell you they will not ship candles in hot weather for obvious reasons. Never use one candle for two different spells. Each spell you cast calls for a new candle. It stands to reason if you lit this candle for a particular reason then this candle has already picked up energy surrounding the spell you cast with it. Since that is the case if you used it for another spell the candle will prove to be ineffective since it as already picked up positive or negative energies of the last spell.

Some people feel they need to have a variety of colors on hand for different magickal purposes. For some issues that is true the color of the candle helps but I don't always go by the book. Most of the times I go by what I feel I need. You see there is no right or wrong here. You can do it either way by using the color correspondences for candle magick or by using what you feel would work best for you.

Color correspondences:

Red - would be used for courage, health, lust and some us it for love while others feel it leans more towards lust.

Pink- would be used for Friendship, sweet love, true love

Orange- would be used for attraction, to draw things to you not just love, and encouragement.

Gold- is used for financial gain and business connections.

Yellow- is used for Persuasion and protection.

Green- is used for financial gain, drawing money to you, bringing abundance, and fertility.

Light Blue-is used to bring health, patience, and understanding

Dark blue- is used to be rid of depression and the feeling of vulnerability

Purple-is used for ambition and to bring power. It is a sign of spiritual connection.

Brown- represents work that is Earth or animal related

Black- is used to remove negativity, for reversal spells, and for banishments.

White- represents purity and truth. It can be used in place of any color candle.

Silver-is used for reflections, intuition, and lunar connections.

First decide what you are seeking. Now decide what you need to get to your goal. Pick the color candle you would like to use. You may want to dress it in an oil before burning it. Again I would chose the oil that I am drawn to but others choose according to the correspondence listed at the end of this article. Now you need to write down what you want to say prior to dressing the candle. I like to write things in rhyme for two reasons. One being it is easier to remember but the other being the words sing like a song and therefore move freely through the air to the Divine. Write what you want to say on a piece of brown paper such as a piece of paper bag or on a piece of parchment paper.

Now it's time to dress the candle. To dress a candle you need your essential oil. If you are interested in using an oil with no smell perhaps you would like to try grape seed oil. There are good essential oils sold in botanicas, metaphysical shops, and even on the internet. To dress your candle begin at the top of the candle and rub the oil downward to the middle of the candle. Nest begin at the base of the candle and rub the oil upwards towards the middle of the candle. You will stop where the first coating of oil was left in the middle of the candle. Yet again I do mine differently at times I like to start from the middle of the candle and work my way to the top then from the middle I work my way to the bottom.

You can also use herbs in candle magick but if you prefer to rub the candle with oil then you need to be sure the herbs are grounded into power form. If you used whole herbs or just dried herbs they will catch fire as the candle burns and you do not want that. I prefer putting my herbs in a burner next to the candle I am burning. I add a little of the oil I chose for the candle I am using plus I always enjoy burning incense as I burn my candle.

As you start your spell meditate on what you want, it is important for you to visualize your goal and see yourself achieving that goal. Maybe it's a new job or a raise at your present on. Perhaps it's getting out of debt or helping someone who is ill or being abused. Whatever it is visualize it coming to fruition, see your victory.

Now set up your work space, your sacred space. Open your spell and place it where you can see it clearly. Place your candle in front of you and be sure to have your matches. Some like to use a lighter but as a witch I prefer the old fashioned match. I believe the sulfur in the match adds to the power of the spell. For some people just visualizing their wish and lighting the candle is enough. I prefer more. I prefer to write a little spell in rhyme as I mentioned earlier. 

In my own hand and on the brown paper I would write something like this:

As I light this candle bright,
I seek my goal through the burning fire light,
I close my eyes so I can see,
My goal set before me,
Bring to me the job I seek,
From the interview I have this week,
Harm to none,
In the path of this spell I have spun,

Repeat above three times, then end with:

This is my will as I say it so Mote it be!

Do I recommend you go out there and cast a spell without knowing more about powers of Candle Magick or any Magick for that matter? No, I don't. You want to learn then find yourself a good teacher. Listen to her lessons and learn from her experience and knowledge. This is the only way to go please do not dabble for dabbling can hurt so many not just yourself.

Remember it's not what you are asking for in a spell it is how you are asking for it. Always remember the Creed, "and harm ye none, do what ye will." Live by those words and your magick will be on the right track ignore them and you just may find out how bad The Law of Three can really be.

Essential Oil Correspondence:

Additions: Frankincense
Aphrodisiac: Amber, Ginger, Neroli, Patchoulli
Awareness: Lavender
Beauty: Rose
Breaking a Curse: Rue, Frankincense, Dragons Blood
Business Success: Peony
Calming: Lavender, chamomile, Bergamot
Clairvoyance: Wisteria
Change: Peppermint
Cleansing: Camphor, Sage
Concentration: Cinnamon
Depression: Bergamot, Ylang ylang, Lavender, Orange Blossom
Divination: Angelica
Dreams: Mugwort
Employment: High John
Energy: Nutmet, Pine, Lemon, Lime
Exorcism: Frankincense, Dragon's Blood
Friends, Attrack: Wisteria, Citronella
Focus: Cinnamon
Happiness: Apple Blossom, Lotus, Vanilla, Neroli, Rosemary
Headaches: Lavender, Eucalyptus
Healing: Clove, Cypress, Sandalwood, Juniper, Eucalyptus, Pine
Health: Tea tree
Hex Breaking: Myrrh, Dragons Blood
Higher Consciousness: Wisteria
Insect: Citronella
Intuition: Honeysuckle, Frankincense
Luck: Bayberry, Vanilla
Love: Green Pepper, Rose, Jasmine, Dragons Blood, Lavender
Meditation: Frankincense, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Nutmeg
Negativity: Rue, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Naroli, Patchouli
Passion: Patchouli, Ginger, Musk
Peace: Lavender, Rose, Lilac, Narcissus, Jasmine
Prophetic Dreams: Mimosa, Mugwort
Prosperity: Dragons Blood, Heliotrope, Almond
Protection: Frankincense, Heliotrope, Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Cedar, Myrrh, Rue, Pine
Psychic Ability: Camphor, Lemon grass, Wisteria, Cinnamon
Relaxation: Apple Blossom, Lavender, Chamomile
Sacred Space: Anise, Eucalyptus, Lemon grass, Lemon Balm, Basil
Sleep: Jasmine, Lavender, Chamomile
Spiritual Blessings: Frankincense, Myrrh, Heliotrope, Angelica, Anise
Spirituality: Cinnamon, Heliotrope, Frankincense, Wisteria, Myrrh
Strength: Musk, Patchouli, Clove, Jasmine
Stress: Frankincense, Lavender
Success: Ginger, Basil, Cypress
Tranquility: Lavender, Rose, Bergamot
Understanding: Honeysucke, Myrrh
Wisdom: Sage, Wisteria, Frankincense


This is only a sample of the essential oils you can use. There are so many oils too many to mention right now. Perhaps we can start covering one oil at a time. I will work it into my talks here. Thank you for listening!


Magick
By Toni Gamarro
 
I close my eyes and see my goal,
Purity of my spell is in my soul,
I cast not for me out of greed,
I cast only out of need,
Magick should never be abused,
With your intent it is fused,
Before you speak your words please think,
For all can go wrong with a blink,
This is not a game for gain,
Should not be used to cause pain,
Magick is a gift to all,
Who wish to learn and heed the call,
So before you attempt to cast a spell,
Listen to the Crone, she knows well,
She will teach you what you must know,
Show you the path you must go,
Her knowledge she will pass your way,
She will teach you how to cast, what to say,
Always remember to harm none,
This is the only way Magick should be done,
Remember to heed The Law of Three,
So nothing bad comes back to thee,
Please do not dabble on this sacred path,
Or you will have to bear the wrath,
The Divine will hear the words you speak,
And help you reach the goal you seek.
 
To Be Continued.......
 
 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment