Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Samhain

Good Morning and Blessings Everyone!

I thought I would address the Wheel of the Year today. Let's do this by taking it one at a time. I know we just past Beltane but I would prefer to start out at the beginning of the Wheel then somewhere in the middle.No sense in confusing everyone and being a bit backwards. That being said let's start out with one of my favorite times of the year, the start of the Witches Calander (Wheel of the Year) Samhain, October 31st.

Needless to say this is one of my favorite holidays for my childhood memories alone. Getting dressed up and going out trick or treating with my father since my mother worked nights. My fathers sister, Aunt Dolores, always made us homemade popcorn balls and every family members house we went to had a special treat for us. Of course we didn't call it Samhain we called it Halloween, a reason to get dressed up in scary customs and eat candy till your teeth hurt. No one every gave any real thought to why we did it we just knew  it was time to go out and have some good clean fun.

Actually Halloween or Samhain (Sah-ween) as it was called back then, began as an ancient Pre-Christian  Celtic Festival of the dead. According to the ancient calendar this day marked the first day of the new year, the first day of winter. During this time the farmers had to move their cattle and sheep in closer pastures and get ready for the winter months ahead. All crops we harvested and stored also for the winter. 

In Celtic times this holiday was considered the biggest one of the Celtic year. It was the time of year when the Celts believed spirits of the dead mingled with the living. You see it was believed those who died during the year traveled to the otherworld on this night. They made animal sacrifices as well as fruits and vegetables.  On this night on the hills and through the fields people could see bonfires lit in honor of the dead. They believed it helped the dead on their final journey and kept them from the living.

Christians became obsessed with changing Celtic practices and beliefs. They did all they could to draw the Pagans into their church. In doing so they adopted many of their beliefs but changed the names of the holidays to adopt it to their Church but in still make the Pagans feel welcomed. Look back and to ancient Celtic times and check out some of the names of the Gods and Goddesses you will find they are the same in many religions today. They have just been transformed to meet that belief. Something we will explore in the future. Samhain is no different. Many Christians celebrate All Souls Day on November 1st, the celebration of the dead. No different than Samhain but to separate the two days naming one Halloween and the other All Souls day. In actuality it is all still the same celebration. Samhain started at dusk on or around October31st depending on the moon and ended with the rise of the sun the next morning. 


Christians wanted to wipe out all Pagan holidays. Pope Gregory the First instructed the missionaries to use the customs and beliefs of the Celtic people rather than to erase them all together. They didn't understand the religious leaders of the time were not devil worshipers but believed in worshiping that which God and the Goddess gave us. Christians did not understand the practicing of the Celts. This as an established religion over looked by the Druids. Druids were priests, poets, scientists, and scholars. They studied hard to learn all they could and to share their knowledge with those who followed them. It was a strong religion, belief, that threatened Christianity. Christians did not understand Druids were not much different then missionaries and monks. Instead they saw Druids as evil doers so to wipe out their kind they adopted their beliefs to draw their people to Christianity. 

Even the wearing of costumes and going from door to door can be traced back to Celtic times. People left food and drink out by their door to ward off the dreadful demons, fairies and souls of the dead. After doing this for centuries people started dressing up in scary costumes in the images of these creatures. They would perform tricks in exchange for the food or drink. They called it mumming we call it trick or treat. More and more adults are celebrating Halloween these days dressing up in costumes and enjoying the day waiting to see if they get a visitor or two in the evening hours.

In today's society All Saints Day is known All Hallows Eve the night before the most intense activity, the night when the veil between the two worlds is at it's thinnest. There are those who believe on this night the spirits that walk the earth are evil. I often listen to people talk about the evil spirits that are in their house or haunting their lives. I am amazed how many are afraid of the unknown and do not understand all that is negative is not evil but negative energy that is built up sometimes inside of us or around us with the help of others. On Halloween or Samhain as I call it, it is a night of the year to celebrate those who have passed on. Those who have made the journey to the otherworld during the year, it is a night to connect to the ones you have lost during this time. 

Personally I have experienced many a Blessed Samhain connecting to those I know and those I have never met. At no time have I connected to a spirit wishing to do me harm. On this night as well as any night you plan on seeking a spirit you protect yourself. Careful in your wording, careful to protect yourself to secure a sacred space. Never do any such work without first learning how and what you are doing. Remember knowledge is always the key. Of course when I was a young girl I didn't have this knowledge but I didn't seek the spirits they came to me usually in my home which for me was the safest place in my world making me well protected. 

Halloween or Samhain for any Witch is a day to celebrate, to enjoy the harvest, cook amazing foods, eat, drink, and be merry. It is a night to help those who are in need cross over, to bid farewell to those they have lost and loved over the year. It is Our New Year, new beginnings. So let's raise our glass and toast this night Happy New Year One and All, Cheers!


                                              Blessed Samhain
                                               By Toni Gamarro

                              The bonfires burned on the hillside all night,
                              Keeping the fields lit bright,
                              Keeping away the souls of the dead,
                              Calming every ones fear and dread,
                              Oh how our belief has changed,
                              All mixed up and rearranged,
                              Samhain is a Witches New Year,
                              It's not a day to run in fear,
                              The veil between the worlds is thin,
                              Some like to welcome the spirits in,
                              With a ritual celebrating this day,
                              While helping the spirits on their way,
                              Nothing to fear, nothing to dread,
                              It's a feast to celebrate the dead,
                              Enjoy dancing and having fun,
                              For the Witches New Year has begun!


To Be Continued........
                              
                             
                             
                               
                              
                              
                             
                             
                              
                                

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I didn't know that Druid is evil? I am surprised and thank you! I am wonder there enemy of pagan/witch groups in New Mexico that was bad but I don't understand.
    Before I lived in Florida and pagan/witch are great respect and cooperate. I am missing them much. BB, Isislotusmoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you misunderstand me. Druids were very religious people but the Christians represented them as evil in order to bring people to their religion. Druids were and still are very religious, loving people. They were priests, scientist, poets and still are today. I will be doing a blog on druidism in the near future. I think you will enjoy it. I have many friends who are druid that I have learned a lot from. I have friends who are Druid, Pagan, Wiccan, and Witches all like minded people who get along for the common good. WE understand one another's belief and we do not judge. People have to understand what ever religious or spiritual path you walk it all leads to one God, The Divine and that is all that matters. No one should dislike anyone because of their religious/spiritual path in life.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete