Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mabon: Autumn Equinox

Good Afternoon and Blessings Everyone!



Today we move along the Wheel of the Year we have come full circle. The final celebration before a Witches New Year which is Samhain. If you remember that is where we began our walk around the Wheel of the Year. Let's talk about Mabon also called the Autumn Equinox. Mabon is celebrated between September 21st and the 23rd. Yesterday we talked about the beginning harvest but today we are talking about the harvest coming to an end. The crops have been harvested and are being stored for the winter or sent to market. Mabon is the mid-harvest festival. The seasons are once again beginning to change and it's time to celebrate. Seems there's always a reason for celebration as we  move along the season. That's a good thing. During Mabon we give thanks for what we have. Not necessarily for the crops in the fields since not all of us are farmers, but for the food we have been blessed with. We also give thanks for things like the people we love, the good fortune that has come our way during the past months and so on.

Now is the time to take a moment or two and look back on the past year and to plan for your future. During Mabon we take the time to relax and celebrate due to all the hard work that went into the harvesting of the crops. This is a day that is equal in time for the day and the night so once again nature is in balance. The days start getting shorter and the nights begin to get longer. We see a little less of the Sun from this point on. So we bid the warm weather and the summer sun farewell till he returns to us with the budding of spring.

Even though this is the end of one season and the start of still another it is not a time for sorrow but a time to celebrate. We reflex on our successes, give thanks our selves and anyone who helped us along the way. By doing this we put balance in our life so we can continue along the path we are walking. This is what we celebrate the ending of the harvest and the balance of light and dark. Of course what better way to celebrate than to fill your table with foods that come in abundance this time of year. Of course we eat and feast isn't that how each holiday should be celebrated? Just remember that in between all the delicious foods and drinks to give thanks for everything put before you.

I always enjoy getting together with my friends but for me, as a solitary, I like to take some time to honor Mabon on my own. When I had a back yard I enjoyed a fire in the fire pit and some reading time outside by the fire just reading and listening to the sounds around me. Now I don't have the space for a pit so I will light my candles and say a blessing while taking the time to go outside and meditate so I can also have balance. I will give thanks for all the wonderful things I have been blessed with this year and meditate on my wishes for the future.



Listen To The Seasons
By Toni Gamarro

Oh how I love this time of year,
When summer leaves and fall draws near,
Hot by day and cool by night,
A fire in the pit I invite,
Giving thanks for all I achieved,
For all the blessings I have received,
Looking forward to the colors to come,
Not all the trees will turn just some,
Others will stay as green as could be,
Some will become a Christmas tree,
Others will give shelter to those in need,
This is natures way indeed,
Autumn is the time of year when changes take place,
And the darkness picks up it's pace,
Fighting hard to over come the light,
Racing forward with all it's mite,
The leaves begin to fall from the trees,
We don't see any more bees,
Put on a coat and hat to keep warm,
Start preparing for a winter storm,
The Sun has gone into winter mode,
Not as warm as it once flowed,
But it won't take long till the Spring reappears,
In the mist of all our cheers,
Now the day will over take the night,
For one day balance is just right,
And as the days begin to grow,
And the gentle spring winds blow,
We watch as nature blooms in all it's glory,
And reminds us of natures story,
Summer winds are a warm breeze,
Actually they are just a tease,
Because the Sun is warm and strong,
And our days have grown wonderfully long,
This is how our seasons pass,
Perhaps some of us should take a class,
Learn how to appreciate what nature brings,
Learn how to notice the little things,
Flowers blooming and bees a buzz,
Pay attention to what nature does,
Do not get upset because of the rain,
It helps relieve natures pain,
Stops it from being parched and burned,
I think this it has earned,
A day of rain, a little snow,
See that gives us water so things can grow,
When you get time to set a spell,
Listen to the story nature will tell,
Feel the power of each and every season,
Know they happen for a reason.


To Be Continued..........

















No comments:

Post a Comment