Sunday, August 18, 2013

Herbology





Good Afternoon and Blessings Everyone!

My topic today is Herbology. What exactly is Herbology or Plant Magick? Well that was my question when I started studying my path many years ago. If you were to look it up in the dictionary I can assure you Webster will not have it listed, not under those names anyway. Simply put Herbology is exactly what it appears to be, the study of herbs better known to most people as Herbalism. Yes we all use herbs in our kitchen to add to our favorite recipes but there is so much more they can and are used for. 

Herbology dates back to ancient Egypt. Also known as Folk Medicine or Folk Magick. It has been used for healing, self empowerment, love spells, protection magick and much more. You see each plant has it's own magickal properties just like the essential oils which are drawn from these plants. You can add herbs to any spell you cast to add power to the spell. With the strength plants have within themselves it is said they can speed up or increase the effectiveness of a spell regardless of who is doing the casting which is why plant magick is one of the more popular forms of magick. 

I have seen herbs and plants used in healing from when I was a little girl. My great grandmother grew her herbs and many other plants in her backyard garden right up until she passed away at the age of 97. Maria Teresa always went the herbal route since she had a thing about doctors and hospitals. Oh she never told someone not to go but she put a strong belief in her own magick. We witches are not the only ones that are seeing the benefits of using herbs and plants for healing anymore. I have fibromyalga and the doctors ordered a medication for me that seemed to be working at the beginning but as time went on I started noticing something was wrong with me. The symptoms of the medication are too much to list but I had most of them at this time. I decided I needed to do something so I developed a tea from five different herbs and then I weaned myself off the medication. Now when I went back to the doctor I thought for sure I was going to have to deal with a lecture but no, instead he agreed with me. Seems he is one of those special doctors who believe in alternative medicine. Alternative medicine is a form of medicine that uses a variety of herbs and plants for healing. A good example of this would be dietary products or health foods and supplements. When you purchase a cough drop have you ever read what is in it? For most a main ingredient  is eucalyptus which is great to clear your sinuses as well as sooth a throat or you may want to try a tea made from calandula to treat your throat or even cold sores in your mouth. Want to get rid of a headache? Use herbs such as yerba mate or ginger since they both are a great at opening things up so the blood flows easier. 

When I am doing a spell such as Candle Magick a simple and easy way to spice up that spell a bit and enhance the work I am doing is to sprinkle my herb of choice onto the candle. Other things I use herbs for are cleansing the house or even the grounds outside my home. You can sprinkle herbs around the house or leave it in corners of the rooms to remove negativity, bring protection, happiness, promote good health, even to bring peace to the home or to some situation you are battling at the time. There are even herbs you can use to keep people away from you or stop them for gossiping. So you see there is no limit. 
I carry a charm bag or medicine bag with me and it I have many things that I felt called to me to be put in there but I also have herbs. Now if you are looking to draw love or money to you then perhaps you would want a little cinnamon added to your pouch, for protection or to ward off any negativity a little frankincense or dragons blood.  One thing I do with my candles and my herbs is I lay them out under the full moon to be charged by the power of the moon. 

Now I know you all herd of herbs such as eye of knewt or tongue of dog and you are wondering where did they come from back then. Actually I still use them and I still label them this way. It is our own language so we can use the herbs in recipes that we designed and no one can steal them if they were to stumble upon our spell book. If I had a spell that had two shakes of eye of knewt in it there would be no way you can go to the store and buy these herbs because most people have no idea what they are. Very simply Eye of knewt is brown mustard seed. When you were in high school you read the play Macbeth by William Shakespeare and the witches chanted a spell with things such as Eye of newt, toe of frog, Wool of bat, even tongue of dog these were all herbs that could be found or grown in your own garden. 

When I had my own yard I had my own spiritual garden growing strong. All sorts of plants and herbs I jarred and kept in my kitchen cupboard. Then when I needed to use them they were handy. Of course no matter how I used them I took the time to write the spell in my "Book Of Shadows." My spells or recipes are for healing, to draw love to you, happiness, and to bring financial comfort. What I want to do is help you understand these plants or herbs. I already started giving you a list of the essential oils now I think we should start covering some of the more common herbs and their uses and I will give you a chart of the different varieties and their uses as well. 

On thing I think will be fun will be to learn the "old names" for these herbs that witches still use today. I will add them to this blog and we will go over them in my next blog. This is going to be fun and educational. 
You can make a sachet of these herbs and carry them in your pocket book, in an oil bottle around your neck, a locket, sprinkle them around the house and so much more. We will discover different ways to use these herbs and perhaps we can cover a spell or two along the way. 

Below is a list of the essential oils as I promised and with the next posting I will start with the herbs. 


Herbal Magick
By Toni Gamarro

A bit of this and a pinch of that,
Eye of knewt and hair of bat,
Added to your spell or prayer,
Then to your book of shadows with care,
Its fun to plant and watch these herbs grow,
With names marked by them only you know,
Perhaps a little Bride of the Sun,
Will help get your work done,
No matter what herb you choose,
You must be careful not to misuse,
Be sure to be careful of the words you speak,
Careful it is not havoc you seek,
You see these herbs have strength from within,
So on your spell they put quite a spin,
Choose your words wisely so as not to cause harm,
Use these herbs on candles or in a charm,
No matter what your choice of magick may be,
Remember the Universe does hear and see, 
Your intent and frame of mind,
Remember these two are intertwined,
So if you are sad or unhappy that day,
Do not speak the words you feel you should say,
Wait for the sun to come up once more,
Wait until you are absolutely sure,
Eye of knewt, black mustard seed,
And a dash of clove will give you what you need,
If the words are spoken as they should,
Then the outcome will be good,
If it is protection you seek,
Those two herbs will help your spell to peak,
Before you use herbs in your work I recommend,
Learn them well before you blend,
Respect the power they put at your hand,
Know your actions speak a command,
As you put together your magickal spell,
Do not give the Universe a reason to yell,
To send it back to you three times three,
Possibly to punish thee,
In magick herbs are a powerful tool,
Do not use them like a fool.


Essential Oils: 

Kava-Kava-Visions, protection,luck
Knotweed-Binding, health
Ladys Mantle-Love
Lady's Slipper- Protection
Larch-Protection, Anti-theft                                                                                                                   
Larkspur -- Health, Protection
Lavender -- Love, Protection, Sleep, Chastity (with rosemary), Longevity, Purification, Happiness, Peace
Leek -- Love, Protection, Exorcism
Lemon -- Longevity, Purification, Love, Friendship
Lemongrass -- Repel Snakes, Lust, Psychic Powers
Lemon Verbena -- Purification, Love
Lettuce -- Chastity, Protection, Love, Divination, Sleep
Licorice -- Love, Lust, Fidelity
Life Everlasting -- Longevity, Health, Healing
Lilac -- Exorcism, Protection
Lily -- Protection, Breaking Love Spells
Lily of the Valley -- Mental Powers, Happiness
Lime -- Healing, Love, Protection
Linden -- Protection, Immortality, Luck, Love, Sleep
Liverwort -- Protection, Love
Loosestrife -- Peace, Protection
Lotus -- Protection, Lock-Opening
Lovage -- Love
Love Seed -- Friendship, Love
Lucky Hand -- Employment, Luck, Protection, Money, Travel                                                                 Mace -- Psychic Powers, Mental Powers
Magnolia -- Fidelity
Maidenhair -- Beauty, Love
Male Fern -- Luck, Love
Mallow -- Love, Protection, Exorcism
Mandrake (Mandragora officinale or Atropa Mandragora) aka herb of Circe, witches mannikin, wild lemon, sorceror's root *Poison*
Masculine. Mercury. Fire. Deities: Circe, Diana, Hecate, Hathor, Saturn
Protection, Love, Money, Fertility, Health. Few herbs are as steeped in magickal lore as mandrake. It is associated with the most intense practices of magick and especially well suited for love magick. It has great power as a visionary herb. It empowers visions, providing the impetus to bring them into manifestation. It intensifies the magick of any situation. A whole mandrake root placed in the home will bring protection and prosperity. Carried, it will attract love. The human shape of the root makes it well suited for use as poppet. (Substitute ash roots, apples, root of the briony, or the American may apple if the cost is prohibitive). To activate a dried mandrake, place it on the altar undisturbed for three days. Then place it in warm water overnight. The root will then be activated and ready for any magickal purpose.
Maple -- Love, Longevity, Money
Marigold (Calendula officinalis) aka calendula, drunkard, marybud, marygold
Masculine. Sun. Fire.
Protection, Prophetic Dreams, Legal Matters, Psychic Powers. Aids visionary sight and helps find stolen property by producing a vision of the thief in the mind and the location of the stolen property. Dried petals may be used alone or mixed with dried incense to consecrate divination tools. Petals may be macerated in sunflower oil to make an oil of consecration. Adds a special, loving magick to rituals of death and dying. Carry marigold petals with a bay leaf to quiet gossip.
Marjoram -- Protection, Love, Happiness, Health, Money
Mastic -- Psychic Powers, Manifestations, Lust
May Apple (Podophyllum peltaltum) aka American mandrake, duck's foot, hog apple, racoon berry *Poison*Masculine. Mercury. Fire.
Money. Generally used as a substitution for European (true) mandrake. Its uses are practically identical, although the may apple is not related to the true mandrake.
Meadow Rue -- Divination
Meadowsweet -- Love, Divination, Peace, Happiness
Mesquite -- Healing
Mimosa -- Protection, Love, Prophetic Dreams, Purification
Mint -- Money, Love, Lust, Healing, Exorcism, Travel, Protection
Mistletoe (Viscum Album) Witches broom, Thunderbesom, Holy wood, Golden bough
Masculine. Sun. Air. Deities: Balder, Apollo, Freya, Frigga, Venus, Odin
Protection, Love, Hunting, Fertility, Health, Exorcism.
Moonwort -- Money, Love
Moss -- Luck, Money
Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) aka Artemis herb, Artemisia, Felon herb, Muggons, Naughty Man, Sailor's Tobacco, St. John's Plant
Feminine. Venus. Earth. Deities: Artemis, Diana
Strength, Psychic Powers, Protection, Prophetic Dreams, Healing, Astral Projection. Use a wash or the oil to consecrate or anoint crystal balls or any tool of divination. Produces visionary dreams and is a prime ingredient in dream pillows. Keeps one safe from dark forces. Protects children. Incense brings protection. Carried, it brings loved ones safely home from journeys. A tonic for the soul, it keeps us aware of our spiritual direction. Burn with sandalwood or wormwood during scrying sessions. A mugwort infusion sweetened with honey will enhance divination. Carried, it also increases lust and fertility.
Mulberry -- Protection, Strength
Mullein -- Courage, Protection, Health, Love, Divination, Exorcism
Mustard -- Fertility, Protection, Mental Powers
Myrrh -- Protection, Exorcism, Healing, Spirituality
Myrtle -- Love, Fertility, Youth, Peace, Money

This is A and B of the Herb List of old world names

  • A Hawk's Heart: Heart of Wormwood Artemisia absinthium
  • A Lion's Hairs: Tongue of a Turnip [i.e., the leaves of the taproot] Brassica napus
  • A Man's Bile: Turnip Sap Brassica napus
  • A Pig's Tail: Leopard's Bane Arnica montana
  • A Titan's Blood: Wild Lettuce Lactuca virosa
  • Aaron's Rod: Goldenrod Solidago Virgaurea -or- Great Mullein Verbascum thapsus
  • A Bone of an Ibis: Buckthorn Rhamnus cathartica
  • Absinthe: Wormwood Artemisia Absinthium
  • Adder's Fork: Bistort Polygonum Bistorta
  • Adder's Mouth: Chickweed Stellaria Media
  • Adder's Tongue: Dogstooth Violet Erythronium multiscapoideum
  • Alison Alyssum Alyssum spp
  • Angel Food: Angelica Angelica archangelica
  • Angel's Trumpet: Jimsonweed / Datura Datura Stamonium
  • Apple of Carthage: Pomegranate Punica Granatum
  • Archangel: Angelica Angelica archangelica
  • Artemis Herb: Mugwort Artemisia Vulgaris
  • Ass's Ear: Comfrey Symphytum Officinale -or- ColtsfootTussilago Farfara
  • Ass's Foot: Coltsfoot Tussilago Farfara
  • An Eagle: Wild Garlic Allium sativum
  • Auld Man's Bells: Bluebells Scilla Nutans, Scilla non-scripta, Hyacinthoides non-scripta

  • Bad Man's Oatmeal: Hemlock Conium Maculatum
  • Bad Man's Plaything: Yarrow Achillea millefolium
  • Bastard: False or White Dittany Dictamnus Albus
  • Bat's Wings: Holly Ilex Aquifolium
  • Beard of the Monk: Chicory Cichorium Intybus
  • Bear's Foot: Lady's Mantle Alchemilla Vulgaris
  • Bear's Grape: Poke Root Phytolacca decandra -or- Uva Ursa Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi
  • Bear's Paw: Root Male Fern Dryopteris Felix-mas
  • Bear's Weed; Yerba Santa Eryodictyon californicum
  • Beggar's Buttons: Burdock Arctium Lappa
  • Beggar's Lice: Houndstongue Cynoglossum officinale
  • Bird's Eye: Germander or Speedwell Teucrium chamaedrys
  • Bird's Foot: Fenugreek Trigonella Foenum-graecum
  • Bird's Nest: Indian Pipe Monotropa Uniflora
  • Bishop's Elder: Betony Stachys Officinalis, Betonica Officinalis, Stachys Betonica
  • Bishop's Leaves: Water Figwort Scrophularia Aquatica
  • Bishop's Wort: Betony Stachys Officinalis, Betonica Officinalis, Stachys Betonica
  • Bitter Grass: Ague Root Aletris Farinosa
  • Black Sampson: Echinacea Echinacea purpurea, Echinacea pallida, and Echinacea angustifolia 
  • Blazing Star: Ague Root Aletris Farinosa
  • Blind Eyes: Poppies Papaver Spp. & Somniferum
  • Blood: Elder sap (or another tree sap) Sambucus Nigra
  • Blood from a Head: Lupine Lupinus perennis, Lupinus polyphyllus
  • Blood from a Shoulder: Bear's Breach Acanthus spinosus
  • Blood of Ares: Purslane Portulaca sativa
  • Blood of a Goose: Milk of the Mulberry Tree Morus nigra
  • Blood of a Snake: Hematite mineral form of Iron oxide (Fe2O3)
  • Blood of an Eye: Tamarisk Gall Tamarix orientalis
  • Blood of Ares: Purslane Portulaca Spp.
  • Blood of Hephaistos: Wormwood Artemisia Absinthium
  • Blood of Hestia: Chamomile Anthemis Nobilis
  • Bloodwort: Yarrow Achillea Millefolium
  • Bloody Butcher: Valerian Valeriana Officinalis
  • Bloody Fingers: Foxglove Digitalis Purpurea, Digitalis Lanata
  • Blue Bottle: Bachelor's Buttons Centaurea Cyanus
  • Boy's Love: Southernwood Artemisia Abrotanum
  • Brain Thief: Mandrake Atropa Mandragora
  • Bread and Cheese Tree: Hawthorne Crataegus oxyacantha
  • Bride of the Meadow: Meadowsweet Eupatorium Purpureum
  • Bride of the Sun: Calendula Calendula Officinalis
  • Brown Dragon: Wake Robin Arisaema Triphyllum, Arum spp.
  • Bull's Blood: Horehound Marrubium Vulgare
  • Bull's Foot: Coltsfoot Tussilago Farfara
  • Bull's Semen: Egg of a Blister Beetle beetles (Coleoptera) of the family Meloidae
  • Burning Bush: White Dittany Dictamnus albus
  • Buttons Tansy: Tanacetum Vulgare
To be continued.......






No comments:

Post a Comment